Monday 15 September 2008

Just call me King Alfred...

So I've been told that you can cook stuff in a wood fired oven at a higher temperature than normal. But not this high. This is yeasted dough (not sourdough - more on my failures with sourdough soon...) with a high milk content. If I had thought about this a bit I would have realised the milk would make it brown easily. But I didn't. Instead I cooked it with the hearth at 280C...
It tasted good, once I cut the top off... I need to retard the bread in the fridge until the oven's cooled down enough - it's so well insulated now that it only cools about 9C an hour when it's about 250-300C!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, not too bad a loaf for first try.
I hope you are enjoying your marvellous oven. It is amazing what you have achieved.
Hopefully, in the spring I will make a start on my own.
Best wishes,
Ian

Aris said...

So, no updates since September? How is it going?

Marcus said...

Just to add my sincere praise of what you've achieved, I've just finished reading right through the story of the wood-fired oven and been very impressed by your ingenuity and determination.
Needless to say I'm also excited to see what you start producing given you now have a 'pucka' tool for baking!